Roadmap for my website
Updated on Jul 18, 2021
I’m working with the garage door up. The following is my roadmap for this website.
Bugs that need fixing
If you spot anything, please let me know.
- Unable to create new tags for pages. I added a global tag system that allows all articles and pages to be part of the tagging. At the moment, new tags can’t be used inside of pages. The tag must already exist and be part of an article. Right now, this isn’t an issue but it will be worth fixing at some point.
The following is a list of prioritized tasks for my website prioritized using the following formula:
Ease of implementation × Ease of maintenance × Impact to the website
- (32=2×8×2) Migrate to Hugo. The site is currently using Jekyll. I have other websites using Hugo so consolidating to one platform would be helpful.
The following to-dos haven’t been prioritized yet. Some of them might be incoherent or quick notes to myself as a reminder.
- Implement a 8 point grid. Lots of websites use it including Github. It’s something I’d like to learn more about and there is no better place than my own website.
- Left align the website. I’ve done this many times using Chrome Dev Tools and there is something I like about it.
- Improve /photos/ section. This section has been a little neglected. I initially rushed this part of the website to get something live. It now needs to be integrated better.
None at the moment.
The Git repository is publicly available but often contains lots of commits and quick fixes. That makes it difficult to follow the progression of the website and the reasoning behind key decisions.
The following is a list of major changes. The most recently changes are at the top.
- Added my pronouns to the footer of each page of my website.
- Created /sustainability/ to track my progress becoming carbon neutral.
- Removed the newsletter from my website. I wasn’t comfortable using Mailchimp anymore (and wouldn’t recommend anyone else using it) and since I’ve not sent many emails, I opted to delete all the data instead.
- Added search to help me quickly find content. I’ve added a link to the footer in case other finds it useful.
- Added a newsletter where I will send a monthly digest of articles and links that I’ve found interesting.
- Moved tags to the bottom of each page. This is part of my improvements to help visitors to browse similar articles. Tags were originally at the top of pages. Now they’re next to the “linked references” so when you finish reading an article, you can discover similar ones using tags or “linked references”.
- Improved anchor links for heading. On desktop they now sit on the left hand side of the page inline with the elements that under hang (bullets, quotes, etc).
- (648=8×9×9) Updated the footer of each page to focus on related content. Combined the “where to go next” and “about me” sections together. Emphasized the “linked reference” section.
- (504=8×9×7) Made the website look more personal. I updated the font to Source Serif Pro.
- (400=10×10×4) Made my website’s repository public. I want to share the code I use for this website in case it’s useful for others.
- Added Global tag system. All pages and tags can now be tagged. Previously, it was just articles which didn’t make sense since lots of good content is outside of those page types.
- Added headers to the service worker file. Previously, it didn’t clear the cache when the site was updated. Not declaring any headers it uses the browser defaults which is to cache the file for up to 24 hours.