Vegan cheese on toast
Published on Jun 03, 2020 | 3 minute read
You won’t believe this isn’t the real thing. Trust me. I wished I could take full credit for the recipe but this is an adaption of one that was sent to me. I don’t know who first came up with it but if you do, let me know!
I’ve found replacing cheese to be one of the hardest things about going vegan. Most of the alternatives either have a weird taste or texture. In case you’re interested, my favourite vegan cheese is the Morrisons Free From Cheddar and for pizza, MozzaRisella.
Anyway, back to cheese on toast, this has to be the closest tasting cheese I’ve tried so far.
Makes one portion of cheese on toast.
- 10g vegan butter (I use Flora)
- 10g plain flour
- 50ml plant milk
- 40g grated vegan cheese
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- A pinch of nutmeg
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- Sprinkle of Paprika
- Melt butter over a medium heat and whisk in the flour.
- As you’re whisking, add the milk a little at a time. Continue to stir until the mixture turns into a thick paste.
- Add nutritional yeast, mustard, nutmeg, salt and pepper and cheese.
- Keep stirring until cheese melts.
- Toast your bread and spread the cheese on top and lightly sprinkle paprika (optional).
- Grill for a few minutes until it starts to bubble and crisp.