Sometimes you just need to write
Updated on Jun 07, 2020
To procrastinate as much as I have is a skill. It has to be, else I have a big personality deficiency. Starting a blog is hard, especially when you work in the industry and you’re a designer. My fixation on look causes me to down tools and run for the nearest dark closet.
Recently Phil Wylie said to me:
Sometimes you just need to write.
I’ve always had a fear of not knowing what to write about. I have lots of experience in the web industry but there is always a niggle that someone else has covered that topic better than I could.
I recently listened to Unfinished Business, a podcast hosted by Andy Clarke. On this particular episode Jeremy Keith spoke about writing a blog for your future self and not worrying about what others think.
The web industry is a fast paced place (say that after a few drinks). We’re continuously learning new things, writing them down serves three purposes:
- It helps us focus our thoughts.
- To help remember how to do things.
- It acts as a reference for our future selves.
I think setting goals are important. They give focus and targets to strive for. So here are my goals for this website:
- To express my personal opinions on topics.
- To experiment, learn and develop my skills.
- A reference for myself.
- A place to focus my thoughts, allowing me to think more rationally.
- To enable me to write more.
Sometimes you just need to write, so hello! I’m Dave and this is me writing.