Updated on May 25, 2020 | 3 minute read
Before turning vegan, Carbonara was one of my favorite dishes. Here’s a vegan twist on this classic, traditional Italian dish.
- 100ml oat milk
- 1 lemon
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- Mushrooms (preferably shittake)
- 1/2 red onion
- 2 x spaghetti
- Blend together the oat milk, lemon, pepper, salt, nutritional yeast and garlic to a smooth sauce.
- Finely chop the red onion. Chop the mushrooms to a size you prefer (we like them finely chopped too).
- Add a splash of oil to the pan over a medium heat. Add the red onion and mushrooms. Keep cooking until browned, normally 5-10 minutes.
- Once you think there is a few minutes left until the mushrooms and onions are ready, cook the spaghetti following the packs instructions.
- About 1-2 minutes before the pasta is ready, add all the sauce to the red onions and mushrooms.
- Once the pasta is ready, combine together and mix well. Taste and add more pepper if required.
- Carbonaro gets it heat from the pepper so you’ll generally need to add more than expected. Add less to the sauce and more later if you’re unsure how much to add. Too much could destroy the dish so keep trying and tasting.